Friday, November 22, 2013

nyc marathon part 1: revenge of the tb (tiny bladder)

This post is beyond overdue, but.. I ran the New York City Marathon. Rad, right?

Friday was a pretty stressful day. I got a call at 11am that I needed to sign some paperwork in order to register my new car, that I already thought was registered. The same car that was being delivered to me in NYC, and that wouldn't be released to me without signing this one form. I was on a deadline for work, and panicking because I had planned to take Monday and Tuesday off in order to recover. After lots of yelling, phone calls, and finally a cab to the financial district, I was able to get my car issues sorted out. I was exhausted and cranky by the time I made it to the train station. Add to that some train delays, J2 and I didn't get into the city until late on Friday night. He met my parents for the first time in front of Penn Station, romantic, right?

Early Saturday afternoon we made our way to the expo, where we met up with Catie and Kim. It. Was. Pandemonium. Pictures were taken. Overpriced marathon gear was purchased. Beef Jerky was eaten. Good times were had by all. 

After leaving the expo, J2 and I met up with two of my good friends, Natalie and Lori, for a quick bite. It had been way too long since I'd seen them, and I also wanted them to meet J2, and for him to meet them! This weekend ended up being a marathon in the running sense, but also in terms of how many people J2 met (he was such a trooper). After lunch, we met the girls at Penn Station and made our way to my parent's house to pre-race dinner. Pasta was eaten. Water was consumed. Friendship bracelets were made. Again, good times were had by all.

I fell asleep around 10:30, got an extra hour of sleep due to daylight savings, and was woken up out of a dead sleep by my dad at 6:00am because I accidentally set my alarm for pm instead of am. Thank goodness my dad is used to waking up at the crack of dawn. I made it to the ferry terminal and managed to find all of my friends, which was pretty incredible considering how many people were trying to get on each ferry. Even though we had picked ferry times beforehand, each time one was announced there would be a horde of people rushing the gate. It was beyond overwhelming. We got on the ferry at just after 8am and tried to find a few minutes of peace before the insanity would begin.

Once we got to Staten Island, we sat down, ate some breakfast and got ourselves prepared for the race. Not too long after, we were ushered outside by a volunteer and told to make our way to the shuttles. Wha? I probably didn't read the race materials closely (or at all?), but I had no clue that we needed to take a bus once we got to Staten Island. We ended up making it to athlete's village with only a few minutes to spare before making our way over to our corral. Let's sum this up: I drove to the ferry station, took a ferry to Staten Island, got on a coach bus, and then walked to the start line. By the time I started the race, I had been awake for 5 hours. Long day, man. 

And just like that.. I was running over the Verrazano Bridge. And you know what I was thinking for those first two miles? It wasn't how incredible this experience was going to be. Or how excited I was to see my friends and family along the race - though I was looking forward to both. It was that I had to pee. 


Damn you, tiny bladder. DAMN YOU. 

This is getting a little long, so.. to be continued.  

No comments: