Monday, October 21, 2013

stop: taper time

Remember when I said that 20 mile training runs are the worst? Well, they ain't got nothin' on 21 milers.

Last week was just.. not a great week. It started out well! My week started out with a day off and the Tufts 10k, which I've already posted about. Tuesday was a rest day and Wednesday I ran with my lovely Boston LUNA Chix. Everything seemed fine halfway through the run when I started having some stomach cramps. I have a very.. sensitive runner's stomach, so I chalked it up to that. However, as I got closer to the end of the run I was in some serious pain. I barely made it back to Athleta, not even stopping outside to talk to people, before jetting into the bathroom. I thought I felt better, and went to grab some dinner with Ashley. I was in and out of the bathroom for the entire meal (gross, and sorry Ash). It got to the point where I wondered if I could make it to j2's house without incident. By the time I made it to his house, I was almost doubled over in pain. The only thing that seemed to help was crying, and getting into the fetal position.

I have to say, j2 was amazing. I was embarrassed and slightly grossed out by what was going on, but he didn't care one bit. It definitely helped to have someone take care of me, but not in terms of getting a good night's sleep. I woke up on Thursday morning feeling totally exhausted. Needless to say, I took a sick day. I didn't want to risk riding the T for an hour, so I stayed at j2's house while he went to work. I spent the day napping, and trying to hydrated - though as much as I drank, it didn't feel like it was helping at all. By the time he got home from work, I had a little bit of an appetite, which was perfect, since j2 made me soup. Is he the best, or what?

Needless to say, I skipped my easy run on Thursday. I was just not feeling up to it at all. Friday was always a planned rest day. After talking with my coach, we decided that it would be smart to push my last long run to Sunday. I have to say, it was pretty great to wake up on Saturday morning and not have anything to do. I slept in, made breakfast, and event went for a walk to get froyo and do some reading before heading to the Mike Doughty concert with my roommate.

I woke up bright and early-ish on Sunday morning, but had some trouble mapping a route. Head of the Charles meant that the Esplanade would be a nightmare, and it's really hard to run 20 miles in Boston without crossing over the river at least once. I mapped a route that brought me to the river, but would hopefully keep me away from the huge crowds. Though, as I was running around Fresh Pond, I changed my mind. I did a second loop around the pond, and then made my way down Mass Ave into Lexington before heading onto the Minuteman Bike Path and turning around. The route was similar to what I'd done the previous week, but at least I knew I could avoid the crowds, which was more important to me.

The good news? My stomach felt okay-ish. The bad news? My allergies and asthma flared up.. BADLY. I spent about 13 miles feeling as though I was gasping for air. As you can imagine, not entirely pleasant. By the time I got home, I was feeling pretty terrible. I took a long, hot shower and used my emergency inhaler. It took the edge off, but I had a pretty nasty cough for the rest of the day. The cough is still lingering a bit, so I am on a strict diet of tea, honey, water, and lots of sleep. Oh, and Mucinex.

I refuse to get sick between now and November 3. Reeeefuse.

Now it's time to..

No comments: